Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I Can Has Theologeez? Part 3

The lovely Everly Pleasant asked me about my Theological studies, and as it fills up a post's worth of space. she agreed to allow me to post it here! So...

Everly,

Currently, I'm making my way through the Bible as always. I'm jumping around a lot because it's rather slow going this time: I'm not only reading it in English, but also in the Latin Vulgate, the exhaustive and unparalleled work of St. Jerome which brought the Scriptures, up until that point written in several languages dependent upon who penned them and when, all together under one language.

I'm reading a book called My Catholic Faith as well, which is intended for middle schoolers, I believe, give or take a couple of years, but is really quite great. It's very simple and straightforward and lays down in no uncertain terms the tenants of the Faith. I appreciate it, since I never really got a complete education on the core points that make one Catholic rather than anything else.

I'm looking for a good translation of St. Thoma Aquinas' Summa Theologica, and in the meantime I've been reading the Confessions of St. Augustine. They're less theological, and more of a memoir, but it makes them approachable. St. Augustine knew better than most the healing power of Grace, and the staggering scope of God's mercy to the truly contrite, and that makes his writings especially touching.

On top of this, of course, layered the article I linked too a while back on the Theology and Spirituality of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre's Open Letter to Confused Catholics, aaaaand...

A fantastic little book called Where We Got the Bible by the Rev. Henry Grey Graham, the text of which can be found here; http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/protestantism/wbible.htm

Everybody who loves and reveres the Bible ought to read it. It's taken from a series of talks he gave to audiences of Catholics and Protestants, so it's very conversational, very quick, and at times quite witty. He is Scottish and preaches like a Scotsman, if that gives you any idea. It's more than a book about the Catholic Church's role in the creation of the Bible, it's a defense of the validity and applicability of Scripture itself. There are a few passages in there that ought to be in the arsenal of every advocate of home education, as well.

And there you have it! You know, there was a Methodist preacher in New England once named Jonathan Edwards who read so much he built himself a rotating, six sided table so that he could always have six  books open at once...I may have to get something to that effect.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Miss L....I haven't even read this yet and I still am not sitting down to do so! I promise to read and comment as soon as national novel writing month gives me my life back!

    Love, Miss E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe! It's perfectly alright, I've found myself replying to a little bit of your email each day...you'll most likely have it by Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Miss L.

    Thank you for this! I enjoyed reading it very much. It sounds like you've really got your nose in the books these days. I've never read any of them (ahem, except the Bible!) but they all interested me in one way or another especially "How We Got The Bible." Coming from an ex-Catholic family (heehee) we don't read much about Catholicism...normally we just ask my dad! But I would appreciate a deeper knowledge of Catholicism and church history in general.

    Question the next: do you listen to any pastors online/podcasts? I enjoy doing this occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan Edwards? 'Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God' Jonathan Edwards?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure. I don't know much about his theology, and I doubt I'd care much for it if I did read it, New England preachers aren't really my bag, as I'm sure you could guess.

    However I did watch a one-woman play about his wife once, wherein the six-sided desk was mentioned. I first ran across his name in connection with White and King's The Sacred Harp, which was a shape note hymnal of which he was fond. Part of the reason his big-city congregation booted him, apparently, was because they thought singing anything other than the Psalms was a grave sin.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and welcome! This blog deals with many aspects of my daily life, from the sweet and silly to the sad and stressful. And like any blogger, I CRAVE feedback.

There will be times when this blog deals with weighty issues of doctrine and theology. I welcome various differing opinions and believe civil, healthy debate is a good thing. However, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all, as the saying goes, and I will defend the Church if She comes under attack. Thank you for understanding. :-)